Almost every school day goes well....Of course I am typing this on day number two of a really rough week. It's not all roses, but I certainly wouldn't change our decision. Andrew is progressing very well with reading. Our goal for Kindergarten was to learn to read independently and build a desire to learn more about Jesus. So far, I think we are successful.
Many people have asked us why we choose homeschooling when we live in a decent school district. My short answer is "I cannot imagine sending my son to school for 8 hours five days a week." That is true...but only half of the truth. Both Paul and I feel that our children are God's gift to us. We have a deep burden to instill in them a love for Jesus and his Word. We have taken very seriously the command to train up our children and feel the best way for that to be done is to have them at home with us instead of in public school. There are many more reasons I can give but that sums it up pretty good. I don't often give the full explanation though for a couple of reasons. First of all, I don't always think people want the full answer. Secondly, I certainly don't want to come across as judgemental. In no way do I feel that if you choose to send your kids to public school or even private school that you are wrong. I completely believe that God gives us all our own peace as to the best way to educate our children. As "home education" and "public education" is not a "Deal Breaker" for my faith, I am so thankful that we can all make the choice that is best for our own families.
This has been a wonderful journey for our family as we have searched for fun and functional curriculum, developed a schedule that works for us, and chosen subjects in which to dig deeper. We look forward to what God has in store on this path for us!
And for your enjoyment, perhaps we will revert to old English around the Bush house...


Love homeschooling! Can't imagine having my children away from me for all those hours five days a week either!
ReplyDelete